The Legal Support Project of CCA provides the following services:
- Legal representation for conscientious objector applicants in the US military (from all branches) at low or no cost
- Basic information on military regulations on conscientious objection
- Referrals to other professionals who can be of assistance on cases of conscience
- Being prepared to provide assistance to conscience objector applicants in the event that a draft is called in the United States.
- Continuing Education for Attorneys and Paralegal GI Rights Counselors on a variety of issues in military law
- Legal writing on issues of military law, including journal articles and books.
This project is coordinated by our legal director, James M. Branum. He is a civilian attorney with significant experience in military law.
Important Message for servicemembers considering applying for conscientious objector status
If you are thinking about filing for CO status, a good starting point is The ConscientiousObjectorLawyer.com Guide to applying for CO status (PDF download – Version 3, Updated May 2014), as well as the Center for Conscience and War’s The Guide for COs in the Military.
If we can be of further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us.